Spark In Fate Core
1. You start by listing your favorite Media.
- Rickland: “Training Ground for young (female) criminals”, school settings. Aesop’s fables.
- Xavid: “Paprika” (anime; some technology allows people to enter dreams), surreal magical girl anime.
- Thomas: historical biographies of presidents in the 1920’s. also algebraic topology, James Bond-style spy movies, Persona.
2. Explain the Inspirations from your media.
- James Bond — weird subtle plots, gadgets, and exotic setting, plus cinematic.
- Persona — blurring reality between metaphor and surreal.
school setting/high school.
- Aesop’s fables: episodic, talking animals.
3. Use those inspirations to Describe the Genre.
- College for the Supernatural
- you have to save the world, pass exams, and figure out how to ask your crush to the prom.
4. Establish Facts about the Setting.
- Who runs the school? We don’t know who runs the school. The administration presents a normal public front, but it gets its money from somewhere. However, it only accepts “special” students"; everyone who attends has some sort of superpower.
- What happens to students after they graduate? They are recruited by various occult organizations, government, etc. (they run away, or are punished, or “disappear” permanently.)
- Can students travel? (school is very strict; they don’t want to let students leave for too long.)
5. Create a Title to focus your vision.
- Enlightenment University (St. Jude’s College of Enlightenment)
6. Create a list of potential Issues for the setting.
- Dream weirdness: people have started having merged dreams, secrets being revealed (and leaked to mundanes!)
- Conflict with other schools (we don’t know what’s going on with them. where the hell is australia?)
- Tension with townies; suspicious of these weird students. (student/townie loveplot.)
- Student rebellion, against students being used by experiments.
- student government (and upcoming elections?)
7. Order the Issues, picking three of them from the list.
- Upcoming: school in Australia is going to disappear
- Current: dream melding
- Impending: seat on student council
8. Create an Aspect for each Issue.
9. Create two Faces for each Aspect.
10. Create a Place for each Spark unused.